One of my favorite things to do during the cold winter months is to curl up on the couch with a nice warm cup of hot chocolate. As it turns out, my 4-year-old son is also a fan of this as well.
On Saturday, we went to a get together at my grandma's house, and I thought it was the perfect opportunity to bring the hot chocolate to them, but in bite size. Introducing Hot Chocolate Marshmallow Bites.
These dessert bites are stuffed with mini marshmallows, drizzled with chocolate and topped with your favorite sprinkles. I have only done a few recipes on TBM, but one my favorite things to do with desserts is to make them customized to fit any holiday or theme. Most of the time, that just means changing the topping (sprinkles, frosting, etc.).
For example, if you wanted to make these for Christmas, top them with drizzled white chocolate with red and green sprinkles. This gives me the opportunity to have a few of my favorite go-to desserts that I can use over and over for any holiday.
There is no butter needed for this recipe. Instead, I used applesauce which works out perfectly for the health conscious eater. Cocoa and brown sugar gives this the perfect hot chocolate flavor without being too rich. It has the consistency of a muffin but is little more dense. It's the perfect cross between a muffin and a cookie.
The melted mini marshmallows are my favorite ingredient in this recipe. The texture is amazing, and the drizzled chocolate is the perfect finishing touch.
If you love hot chocolate but would love to start eating it instead of just drinking it, then this recipe is for you. Enjoy!
- <p><span style=”font-size:14px;”><strong>MUFFIN BITES</strong></span></p>
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 bag of mini marshmallows
- <p><span style=”font-size:14px;”><strong>TOPPING</strong></span></p>
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or candy melts for drizzling
- Sprinkles (your choice)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (f) and grease cupcake pan.
- Cream butter, applesauce, and brown sugar until combined and smooth (3-4 minutes). Add milk, egg, and vanilla. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the dry ingredients, and then pour dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet ingredients. Mix well to combine.
- Make dough balls (tablespoon size) and press into each mini muffin cup. Don't fill to the top. Fill about 3/4 full)
- Bake 6-7 minutes. The muffins will still be slightly undercooked.
- Remove muffin cups from the oven and press 3-4 mini marshmallows into the centers. Return the muffin tray to the oven until the marshmallows start to rise and melt. Don't overcook, 1-2 minutes.
- Remove muffin tray from the oven and let cool about 15 minutes. Once completely cooled, melt chocolate chips in microwave. If you are using candy melts for the topping, melt according to directions.
- Drizzle topping over the muffins and top with sprinkles.