Nothing is better during the hot summer months than a cold, tangy side dish. Well, I take that back! How about a really EASY cold tangy side dish.
So what makes this Macaroni salad recipe so easy? You use up leftover vegetables that you have sitting in your fridge. Not only are you reducing food waste and saving money, but you also create a delicious recipe from ingredients you already have at home.
I love that my Macaroni salad is different every time I make it based on the ingredients I decided to throw in, allowing me to get creative and try new things in the kitchen. If you are looking for a quick side dish for your next outdoor BBQ or potluck, this is the solution!
- MACARONI SALAD
- 8 oz large macaroni noodles
- 2 diced sweet baby pickles
- 1 whole red bell pepper finely diced
- 2 whole finely diced celery stocks
- 1/2 a whole red onion finely diced
- 3 large hard boiled eggs, finely diced
- MACARONI SALAD DRESSING
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 Tablespoons sweet pickle juice
- 1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
- 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
- Optional (pinch of Cajun Seasoning)
- Prepare the Macaroni noodles according to package directions. Make sure to drain and rinse the noodles with cold water. Drizzle a small amount (1 teaspoon) of olive oil over the noodles, and then gently stir.
- In large bowl, combine the cooked Macaroni noodles, diced sweet baby pickles, red pepper, celery, red onion, and hard boiled eggs.
- To make the dressing, in a smaller bowl combine mayonnaise, sour cream, sweet pickle juice, red wine vinegar, sugar, Dijon mustard, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, crushed red pepper, and Cajun seasoning (if using).
- Pour the dressing mixture over the noodles and gently stir until combined.
- For the best result, cover the Macaroni salad with saran wrap and let chill in the fridge for an hour before serving.