Oh, my love for french toast! There's something fantastic about the gooey sweetness of the caramelized bread.
I'll admit I am not a food blogger by any means. I am not a magical cook in the kitchen. In fact, the more complicated the recipe, the more likely I am not to make it. That's the truth.
My busy schedule doesn't allow me to get too creative in the kitchen, so when I come up with a recipe that is easy and affordable, I like to share it with you.
I like to use easily accessible ingredients that make the cooking and prep time shorter. This recipe uses refrigerated cinnamon rolls instead of bread, which means no soaking and no waiting overnight.
The topping is just as easy to make. With only six ingredients, the brown sugar, nutmeg, and pecan crumble add the perfect texture to an already delicious recipe. If you are a huge lover or pecans like I am, you can always add more than the recipe calls for.
After preheating the over to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, open the packaged refrigerated cinnamon rolls and cut each slice into eight pieces. I knew when making this recipe that I didn't want to make the traditional French Toast Bake. That would mean soaking bread overnight, and let's be honest, who has time for that?
After all of your cinnamon rolls are cut, in a large bowl, combine the eggs, heavy cream, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla. Whisk together the egg mixture and toss in the sliced cinnamon roll pieces. Make sure all pieces are well coated.
Once you have poured your cinnamon roll mixture into a prepared 2-quart baking dish, open your can of apple pie filling and layer it on top of your coated cinnamon rolls, spreading out evenly.
In a small bowl, using a fork, cut together the butter, brown sugar, flour, nutmeg, cinnamon, and pecans until nice and crumbly. Spread the topping over the top of your apple pie filling.
Bake in the oven for 45-60 minutes. I recommend checking it after about 45 minutes. When the dish comes out of the oven, warm up the prepared icing container in the microwave for 10 seconds. Drizzle the icing over the top of your Apple Cinnamon French Toast Bake and enjoy!
This Apple Cinnamon Toast Bake looks and tastes like you spent hours slaving in the kitchen, but uses already prepared ingredients to make your busy life a little bit easier. Why make things harder than they have to be?
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1½ tsp cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 can refrigerated cinnamon rolls
- 21 oz can apple pie filling
- ¼ cup butter – room temperature
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg
- ½ cup chopped pecans – or more if you prefer
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare a 2 quart baking dish with non stick spray.
- Open the cinnamon rolls and cut each slice into 8 pieces, set aside. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, heavy cream, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla. Whisk together the egg mixture and toss in the sliced cinnamon roll pieces until well coated. Pour into your prepared dish and set aside.
- Layer the apple pie filling on top of your cinnamon roll layer, spreading out evenly.
- In a small bowl, using a fork, cut together the butter, brown sugar, flour, nutmeg, cinnamon and pecans until nice and crumbly. Spread the topping over the top of your apple pie filling.
- Bake in the oven for 45-60 minutes; start checking it around 45 minutes.
- When the dish comes out of the oven, warm up the icing container in the microwave for 10 seconds. Drizzle the icing all over the top of your french toast bake. Enjoy!